Saturday, February 27, 2010

27.02.10 Using the heat

Yoga Time: 50 mins
Assisting Time: 1.5 hours

Today was so hot outside. My car overheated and stopped a few blocks from home. Since I'm still on crutches, those few blocks may as well have been a few miles. I waited for help to arrive and finally made it home a couple of hours later. Thankfully I was on my way home from assisting the yoga class, so I was calm enough to sit in the hot, hot car and wait. My sister called from abroad while I was waiting, so that also made me feel good.

When I finally arrived home, I was hot. Very hot. I had something cool to drink and sat down and did some reading I needed to catch up on. Once my core temperature was down a little, I decided to make the best of the heat. I was intending to have a day off from yoga today, but the chance was too good to pass up. I warmed up my body and focused on stretching poses that would benefit from the heat. Instead of sweating on the couch, thinking about the air conditioned places I could go if my car was working, or the cool waters of the pool or ocean so nearby, I was loving the heat, watching my head creep further down my legs toward my toes and my legs stretching away from each other and closer to the floor.

Often it's hard to think about the positives of something that is making us miserable in the moment. Often a negative situation is a positive one in disguise; sometimes it's harder to find the potential positive aspects of the situation, though. My challenge to myself is to apply this to my life at least once more this next week. When something seems absolutely terrible, I'm going to turn it around. Let's hope it isn't too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment